Choan-ji was, for a while, the principle temple of Kunisaki. It grew in power in the Heian Period when it became the centre of a Buddhist cult - the bronze plagues, which were offered up by many powerful figures of the day, lend credence to this - and Rokugo- Manzan power came to be centred here. By the Kamakura Period (1185-1333) it had become the head temple of Rokugo- Manzan with 1,000 monks under its control and an official site of prayer for the well-being of the state and shogun. However, by the Muromachi Period Choan-ji’s power had been curtailed by the increasingly powerful samurai. Choan-ji fell under the control of a samurai warlord and a fort was built on Mt. Yayama behind the temple. With the warlord’s demise, Choan-ji was stripped of its status, which was then given to Futago-ji. Choan-ji is known these days for its Important Cultural Properties, the Taroten deity and 19 bronze plaques inscribed with the Lotus Sutra, sanskrit text and Buddhist images. During the Heian Period, 794~1185 A.D., bronze plaques were inscribed with sutras and buried in the ground or inserted into Buddha statues. Other statues found at Choan-ji are Senju- Kannon (Sahasrabhuja Avalokitesvara), Amidha-Butsu.

Today many come to the temple to enjoy the gardens. These are beautiful throughout the year, but the autumn colours, perhaps, are most impressive.

Japan, Oita, Bungotakada, Karegawa, 635金剛山 長安寺

At a glance

Once the most powerfull temple in Kunisaki, it is now mostly known for its beautiful grounds.

Related topics